Re: Job interview questions

From: MARK BRINSMEAD <mark.brinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 19:43:24 -0400

Like I said, it depends on the *sort* of trivia. :-)

Questions designed to test whether or not you know the exact spelling of an initialization parameter or DBA_ view name are not really terribly useful.

Questions designed to test whether you understand what a "rolling upgrade" is, or perhaps whether you appreciate (and can explain) the difference between a logical and a physical standby *might* be. Heck, asking a DBA (candidate) to describe the differences between RAID-1 and RAID-5 might be very informative, too, although it might be partially testing the age of the candidate. (With storage as virtualized as it is, how many people still use RAID-1 or RAID-5 in their pure forms these days?)