Re: SRDF and Oracle Rac 11gR2

From: Martin Bach <development_at_the-playground.de>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 09:14:57 +0100

Hi!

SRDF is very popular for good reasons. Like others said SRDF does what it says on the tin, and supports more than Oracle. As a DBA I was always a bit worried since I had to rely on the storage admins and had little/no visibility about the status of the replication. I used to cross fingers, hoping that replication has been set up and maintained correctly. Testing helps you find out if all is working as expected (testing is so useful in so many cases!)

I personally prefer Data Guard: I can open the standby read-only any time to see if all is ok. The granularity in Data Guard is the database. You have to provision storage per database with SRDF to get the same granularity; ASM can make matters a bit more complex, ideally you'd have separate disk groups per database. That's my opinion, the storage team usually has a different one :) Whichever way you go, be aware that consolidating databases on the same server might require more involvement depending on business requirements for DR (testing).

In the case of RAC we did exactly as has been described on the standby: install Clusterware with an OCR/voting file disk group only, +DATA and +RECO were replicated to the DR site but the R2s are not read-write. The only downside I could find was the need to perform disk discovery which can be tricky depending on your OS and release.

Hope this helps,

Martin

--
Martin Bach