RE: Cloning from physical standby

From: Sheehan, Jeremy <JEREMY.SHEEHAN_at_nexteraenergy.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 09:17:44 -0500

Be mindful of anything set to nologging the database as well. We had some issues with materialized views set to nologging when we cloned from a standby.

Jeremy

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of David Pintor Sent: Monday, January 31, 2011 9:07 AM
To: Subodh Deshpande
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Cloning from physical standby

Will do, Sobodh, and thanks to everyone who commented.

I think I'm not going to use RMAN cause i'm not really familiar with the syntax and need to start this right now, but i reckon it might be easier to do!

Cheers,

David

On 31 January 2011 14:03, Subodh Deshpande <deshpande.subodh_at_gmail.com<mailto:deshpande.subodh_at_gmail.com>> wrote: just update when you are completed, I am bit curious...:)..subodh

On 31 January 2011 16:52, David Pintor <painterman_at_gmail.com<mailto:painterman_at_gmail.com>> wrote: Hi,

This question might seem a bit obvious for many of you, I'm just trying to figure out which would be the best way to clone a database using the physical standby (so i don't need to touch prod) into a test environment. I was thinking about the following steps:

  • Stopping the physical standby
  • Copying the files across to the test environment
  • Restarting the physical standby (so it gets in sync again)
  • Recreating the control file in test and starting up the db.

Would this, roughly, be correct?

Thanks for your help.

David

--