RE: RAC h/w basic costs

From: Matt McClernon <mccmx_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 22:52:43 +0000

RAC will significantly increase the cost and complexity of the database architecture. So you have to ask yourself what 'problem' are you trying to solve by implementing RAC. For me the key issues that RAC addresses are: 1. Allows you to 'scale out' database resources - so you can start small and grow outwards by adding nodes2. Eliminates (reduces) application downtime in the event of a server failure3. Allows you to run your database on more hardware resources than are available on one large SMP server If you don't have 1 or more of those requirements then why invest in a premium product which will require a large investment in time and money..?

Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 13:17:40 -0700
Subject: Re: RAC h/w basic costs
From: venkat001p_at_gmail.com
To: pioro1_at_gmail.com
CC: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

Hi Marcin,

Yeah, i have gone through it before. They already have some RAC licenses and want to make use of them.

Cheers/Aditya

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Marcin Przepiorowski <pioro1_at_gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 5:16 AM, Venkat P <venkat001p_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> We are planning to move to RAC from single node database, as a start we want

> to migrate to 2 node RAC and ASM. Management asked us to present basic

Hi Venkat,

Maybe this is a little bit off topic but do you have any reasons why you want to migrate into RAC ?
Is it a vendor requirement or strategic decision ?

There was a very interesting discussion on oracle-l about reasons to not use RAC.

http://www.freelists.org/post/oracle-l/Documentation-for-reasons-to-NOT-use-RAC

regards,
Marcin

--