Re: Database accidentally left in backup mode

From: Harel Safra <harel.safra_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 11:13:19 +0200

On 16/03/2010 02:46, Guillermo Alan Bort wrote:
> You know... I am amazed when I see a 9i database backed up with
> 'begin/end'. An 11g? I mean... come on! RMAN is very easy to set up
> for a disk backup. A bit more difficult if a MML is involved, but
> that's about it. You can get very complicated if you want to, but in
> general it's fairly simple. And you wouldn't have hit this little
> problem ;-)

Your forgetting that the OP wanted to take a storage snapshot of his database. The only supported way to do that is to shut down the database or put it in backup mode.

RMAN is fine if you want your backups to run on your production servers. If you want to offload backups to a backup server you need to move the data there, usually using split mirror backups (snap/clone/BCV/...) of the database that are done with alter database begin/end backup.

Harel Safra