Re: ASM on SAN

From: Stalin <stalinsk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 15:01:36 -0800

We are mostly Solaris shop. The way we carve out LUNS is Stripe and Mirror Everything (same) with all available disks in the storage doing hardware RAID 1+0 and create a big virtual disk, then create a LUN for DATA and FRA with appropriate sizes. We are not using ASM yet but that's what we do with our single instance databases. From what i read here is, the above setup can limit IO throughput on a single LUN even though they are backed by several disks. Can anyone explain why that would be.

Cheng,

If you don't mind could you share the parameters that can limit this in Solaris.

Thanks,
Stalin