RE: utl_smtp issues

From: Taylor, Chris David <ChrisDavid.Taylor_at_ingrambarge.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 10:29:14 -0600

Just some thoughts off the top of my head...

Check the SMTP_OUT_SERVER parameter on the database. Is it set to an IP address or a HOSTNAME? If hostname, verify that that hostname resolves to the correct IP address on the server. If set to an IP address, verify the IP address is still correct and the server can reach that ip address.

I'm not really sure what it does under the covers.

Also check the SMTP server itself and see if it is doing a reverse lookup for valid username resolution. For example, you can configure the SMTP server to validate the address that the email is coming "FROM" . So, when you specify the smtp sender, you have to provide a valid email address that will resolve at the SMTP server, or it will throw it away. (If that feature is turned on)

Sounds to me like one of the following has happened:

1.) Hostname has changed

2.) IP address has changed

3.) STMP configuration at the SMTP server has changed

4.) SMTP_OUT_SERVER parameter is wrong or missing (after a database restart?)

Again, just some thoughts...

Chris Taylor
Sr. Oracle DBA
Ingram Barge Company
Nashville, TN 37205
Office: 615-517-3355
Cell: 615-354-4799
Email: chris.taylor_at_ingrambarge.com<mailto:chris.taylor_at_ingrambarge.com>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete the contents of this message without disclosing the contents to anyone, using them for any purpose, or storing or copying the information on any medium. From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Dba DBA Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 10:23 AM To: ORACLE-L
Subject: utl_smtp issues

Oracle: 10.1.0.3
OS: Solaris 64 bit

We have used utl_smtp for emailing for years. Now all of a sudden on some of our servers, mail is not being sent when we use utl_smtp. Nothing in the datbase has changed. mailx on the unix server works fine.

What does utl_smtp do under the cover to send mail? I am assuming it makes some OS calls to send mail? There was probably some OS/network change or something. However, it is easier to track down if someone can help me figure out what utl_smtp does under the covers.

it does not appear to use mailx since mailx still works.