Re: Oracle RAC on Win vs. Oracle on Linux

From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 10:23:15 -0200

Well, I've had some very bad experiences with RAC + Windows. Granted, it was a 9i RAC on Win2k, so that could have been part of the problem. That database has been since moved to AIX and it works perfectly. A point to keep in mind is that EVERYTHING is more difficult on Windows. From setting up RAC to troubleshooting, to the ever so annoying SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES.

Another issue that I think needs addressing is that Windows is a DESKTOP Operating system, and as such is rather good (I'd say the best out there). However, when it comes to servers user friendlyness takes a step back and ease of troubleshooting and the fact that you can have a decent uptime come into consideration.

I'd use Oracle on Windows for a small database... but if the DB requires a certain uptime that merits the use of RAC... then I'd definetley go to AIX or Linux.

hth
Alan.-