Re: Oracle RAC on Win vs. Oracle on Linux

From: steve montgomerie <stmontgo_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 22:11:48 -0500

I assume you mean 32 bit. We had the same thing. It worked rather well with two Win2k servers having 4gb each - no memory hocus pocus. Then we got new servers with 16gb of ram each and I could not resist. We did the VLM on 32 bit. Did my homework on it big time and it worked well but not for extended periods of time. We'd have a BSOD about every 3 weeks. Multiple TARs, more research, still more BSOD's. With an application upgrade I was able to convince the team to move the PS database on to 64 Bit Linux and have not looked back. The dang things just run.

Now we never did go down the Windows 64 bit lane so I can't get offer any feedback other than MS Patches. If your governance demands the application of MS patches then you are doomed for monthly reboots anyway.

Steve