Re: Laying out Oracle on a SAN

From: Karl Arao <karlarao_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 21:08:56 +0800

Hi Doug,

If you have an existing environment and would like to go SAN. I would first get the IO requirements of the peak and low workloads. I would get the following requirements:

  • Read and Write IOPS
  • Redo IOPS
  • Read and Write MB/s
  • Redo MB/s

I would use the script here
http://karlarao.wordpress.com/2010/01/31/workload-characterization-using-dba_hist-tables-and-ksar/ to gather those info.

Then, I would discuss the numbers with the SAN storage engineer.. and speak about the SAN capacity in terms of IOPS and MB/s and work with him on how would I achieve the IO requirements of my database.

Then, I would validate the SAN environment by running Orion, or actually running the workload.

BTW, I recommend you also read this paper by Krishna Manoharan.  "Storage Design for Datawarehousing" presentation http://sites.google.com/site/docsfordownload/files/StorageDesignforDatawarehousingv8.pdf?attredirects=0

Bottom line, your IO capacity should be able to handle your IO requirements... be it RAID5 or RAID 10...

  • Karl Arao karlarao.wordpress.com