Re: CentOS & Oracle

From: Rodd Holman <rodd.holman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 12:17:43 -0600

Why not use the base OEL? Because CentOS will give you updates and patches through yum. With OEL what you download is what you get, unless you pay support.

Now the big question? Why not pay the $120 for OEL Network and use a supported platform? I use CentOS on research/proof-of-concept and development stuff where I'm downloading OTN versions and testing. I also use it at home where I play with this stuff. When going to production, I use supported platforms. I do not want to be in the position of explaining to my manager, director, vp why Oracle won't support their database because I chose not to spend $120 of company money for a supported OS to run it on. That's a quick way to the unemployment line WHEN a problem comes up. --Rodd Holman