RE: Radiohead lyrics in Oracle RDBMS code

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 10:04:44 -0500

In our software, there is a series of event-based functions - i.e. our software sees that a particular event has occurred, and springs into action to resolve it. The developers may have refactored this to remove it, but for several years, those function calls were "Object.GoGoGadget_____" where ____ was the type of event. So, "GoGoGadget_DatabasePatch" and "GoGoGadget_ConfigureASM" were scattered all through the logs.

On a slightly related note, for years, even after Microsoft purchased Hotmail, you could do a host -l hostmail.com and get a list of all the DNS names under hotmail.com. They were all really boring, mail47.slc.hotmail.com, etc. etc., except for one server called rotate-the-shield-harmonics.hotmail.com.

Or every Java class using the hex phrase "CAFEBABE" as its magic number.

I personally find it amusing when these things crop up. As long as it doesn't negatively impact the product (i.e. why not use Radiohead lyrics when you need a string?), I'm all for it.

Matt

--

Matthew Zito
Chief Scientist

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Thomas Roach Sent: Monday, January 25, 2010 7:44 AM
To: dennis_at_conus.info
Cc: ORACLE-L

I wonder what other lyrics are in the code :)... Could this explain why Oracle keeps taking more room to install? : )

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 3:16 AM, Dennis Yurichev <dennis_at_conus.info> wrote:

Thomas Roach
813-404-6066
troach_at_gmail.com

--