RE: Oracle-Managed Files - your views

From: D'Hooge Freek <Freek.DHooge_at_uptime.be>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 14:45:35 +0100

Tony,

The location of the controlfiles depend on the used omf parameters. Oracle documentation seems to be down but, you can find the necessary information in the administrator guide, chapter 11 "Using Oracle-Managed files" under the topic "Specifying Control Files at Database Creation":

1.1.1.1. Specifying Control Files at Database Creation

At database creation, the control file is created in the files specified by the CONTROL_FILES initialization parameter. If the CONTROL_FILES parameter is not set and at least one of the initialization parameters required for the creation of Oracle-managed files is set, then an Oracle-managed control file is created in the default control file destinations. In order of precedence, the default destination is defined as follows:

. One or more control files as specified in the DB_CREATE_ONLINE_LOG_DEST_n initialization parameter. The file in the first directory is the primary control file. When DB_CREATE_ONLINE_LOG_DEST_n is specified, the database does not create a control file in DB_CREATE_FILE_DEST or in DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST (the flash recovery area).

. If no value is specified for DB_CREATE_ONLINE_LOG_DEST_n, but values are set for both the DB_CREATE_FILE_DEST and DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST, then the database creates one control file in each location. The location specified in DB_CREATE_FILE_DEST is the primary control file.

. If a value is specified only for DB_CREATE_FILE_DEST, then the database creates one control file in that location.

. If a value is specified only for DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST, then the database creates one control file in that location.
If the CONTROL_FILES parameter is not set and none of these initialization parameters are set, then the Oracle Database default behavior is operating system dependent. At least one copy of a control file is created in an operating system dependent default location. Any copies of control files created in this fashion are not Oracle-managed files, and you must add a CONTROL_FILES initialization parameter to any initialization parameter file. If the database creates an Oracle-managed control file, and if there is a server parameter file, then the database creates a CONTROL_FILES initialization parameter entry in the server parameter file. If there is no server parameter file, then you must manually include a CONTROL_FILES initialization parameter entry in the text initialization parameter file.

Regards,

Freek D'Hooge
Uptime
Oracle Database Administrator
email: freek.dhooge_at_uptime.be
tel +32(0)3 451 23 82
http://www.uptime.be
disclaimer: www.uptime.be/disclaimer

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Tony Sequeira Sent: woensdag 16 december 2009 15:18
To: 'Oracle List'
Subject: Re: Oracle-Managed Files - your views

Hi Mark,

I don't think that you were being cryptic, I think I didn't explain the problem properly.

Using DBCA, I couldn't find a way to specify the actual location of the control files, whilst still in the GUI, even in the storage screen, there was no way to change the default location.

I believe I could have edited the scripts and run them manually, but didn't feel like going that far.

Regards.