Re: Oracle-Managed Files - your views

From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 08:45:21 -0800 (PST)

When one considers that ASM pretty much uses OFA, I'm hard pressed to be to dead set against it. I grant that lots of DBA's (me included) prefer our own file naming conventions... However, OFA files do have their own file naming conventions... OFA offers consistency and avoids the fat finger problem with file naming... :-) In the end, in your case would I use OFA? Probably not, but that's mostly personal bias. I think you'd be fine using OFA if you like.

 Robert G. Freeman
Oracle ACE
Ask me about on-site Oracle Training! RMAN, DBA, Tuning, you name it! Author:
Oracle Database 11g RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) - ON ITS WAY SOON! OCP: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional Study Guide (Sybex) Oracle Database 11g New Features (Oracle Press) Oracle Database 10g New Features (Oracle Press) Other various titles
Blog: http://robertgfreeman.blogspot.com Check out my new blog series on installing Oracle Database 11gR2 on Windows using VMWare!

From: Tony Sequeira <tony_at_sequeira.org.uk> To: Oracle List <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Sent: Tue, December 15, 2009 9:20:15 AM
Subject: Oracle-Managed Files - your views

Hi group,

I have to move a 10g (10.2.0.3) application off a Solaris 10 machine (using ASM) to a Windows 2003 server (don't ask).

The required application is only one smallish schema, so I'm going to pre-create a database (10.2.0.4) and use export/import.

I'm thinking of using OMF. Does anyone here have any views on OMF. My research has come up with the following:

Primary advantage seems to be management (no need to specify file names/locations...)

The list of disadvantages I have found are all dismissable for this particular application.

File System only - I'm OK with that
Naming Standards - No issue for this database

Tuning                     - Again no issue for this database.

Regards.

--
S. Anthony Sequeira

++
It is bad luck to be superstitious. -- Andrew W. Mathis
++
-- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l -- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l