Re: buffer cache and shared pool size tuning

From: Martin Berger <martin.a.berger_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 21:04:14 +0100

IF you have agreed target response times (and maybe additional memory around) you can bring the risk to your application vendor: grab their account manager and argue: "Tell me how much memory I should give the buffer cache /large pool. I will do so. Then we test again. IF the test shows the required target response times, you are right and I will excuse my wrong assessment. But otherwise YOU excuse yours and take over responsibility (and payment) for the additional memory."
I'm aware this will never happen, but I like the face of these account managers (or performance-'pro's) at this particular point. - And it keeps the discussion running. From this point on they have to argue why they suggest something, they are not 100% certain.

just out of curiosity: how much time / percentage could you save if you eliminate all physical IOs?