Re: reclaiming space from recycle bin

From: <Sharon.Kovac_at_Rotometrics.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 07:49:09 -0600

To get the size of the objects in the recycle bin I was looking at dba_segments where segment_name like 'BIN%' . Before and after the purge,  I was looking at the space from dba_free_space. There was no change in dba_free_space after I purged the recycle bin.

Thanks for your responses!

Sharon

Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
12/08/2009 04:28 PM

Sharon.Kovac_at_rotometrics.com
cc
oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject
Re: reclaiming space from recycle bin

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 12:11 PM, <Sharon.Kovac_at_rotometrics.com> wrote:

 However, when I look at the space, I don't see that I got 2GB back.

Where are you looking?

If at the file level, the space will not be reclaimed, as Oracle isn't giving space back to the OS.

The reclaimed space will be extents that are again available for use.

Reclaimed space will be visible via either dba_extents or dba_segments.

Jared Still
Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist Oracle Blog: http://jkstill.blogspot.com Home Page: http://jaredstill.com

Sharon Kovac | RotoMetrics
Phone: +1 636 587 3600 | Fax: +1 636 587 3701800 Howerton Lane | Eureka, MO 63025 | USA www.rotometrics.com

This e-mail message is intended only for the personal use of the recipient(s) named above. This message is confidential. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete the original message.

.

picture