Duplicate function is a lot longer than a backup

From: Jeffrey Beckstrom <JBECKSTROM_at_gcrta.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 13:13:14 -0500

Our backups run for a 200 G database at about 2 hours with about 15 min. per backup piece. When we clone a database, we copy the backup files to the target database server and run the duplicate command. Reading of each backup piece takes about 50 min. which is 3 times as long as it took to take the backup. What can be done to improve performance of the duplicate command.

This is 10 G R 2 on windows X64 hardware.

Jeffrey Beckstrom
Database Administrator
Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority 1240 W. 6th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113