Re: Performance Problem but no Performance Tuning Tool

From: Stefan Knecht <knecht.stefan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 15:48:37 +0100

This sounds to me like first of all you need to define what exactly you want to tune, before looking for performance tools. As depending on what your problem is, many tools are simply worthless.

I would start by doing something like this:

  • Find the most critical business process that's taking too long (for this it's usually best to talk to the users directly)
  • Define the goal that is needed to satisfy the business' needs for this process
  • Try to measure exactly where the time is going (This step can be difficult, depending on your architecture, and on how many systems / services are involved in the process)
  • Once you have identified what's causing the delays in response time, take a corrective action.
  • Repeat

By taking this approach, depending on what "problem" you discover, there may be huge collateral effects, that render overall system performance lots better. But try not to look at the "whole thing", try to focus on an overseeable small but important part of your application(s).

One tool I always like to use is event 10046. But try to trace only what's relevant, otherwise you may end up chasing a ghost :) There's lots of information on the web on how to use it, and how to interpret the information (by using profilers such as tkprof).

HTH Stefan

Stefan P Knecht
CEO & Founder
s_at_10046.ch