EXP-IMP privs to users in prod

From: Aragon, Gabriel (GE, Corporate, consultant) <"Aragon,>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 11:48:28 -0500

Hi guys,

I have a question from a friend, he was told from his manager to give privs to common users to make exports and imports in production (in all databases I have under control we don't allow users to do this even in development).

We are thinking about advantages and disadvantages on this approach, right now we are concerned on disadvantages:

EXP:

  • Users will be able to take export of everything they want, including huge tables (50M rows or more).
  • If they do this locally (not sure if they have access) they may use all disk space.
  • If they do this remotely, a huge export may take hours to complete.
  • Performance may be affected for a huge export?

IMP:

  • Data may get duplicated easily on tables w/o referential integrity and lack of control on imp operations.
  • Users will be able to do exp and imp for tables they have granted accces by using exp_full_database and imp_full_database, including sys and system, check dangerous behaviour:

$ sqlplus "myuser"/mypass

SQL >insert into system.x values (3);
insert into system.x values (3)

                   *

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

SQL >insert into other_user.x values (3); insert into other_user.x values (3)

                    *

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

SQL >exit

$ sqlplus / as sysdba

SQL >grant imp_full_Database to "myuser";

Grant succeeded.

SQL >exit

$ sqlplus "myuser"/mypass

SQL >insert into other_user.x values (3);

1 row created.

SQL >insert into system.x values (3);

1 row created.

Is there any other disadvantage you can think of?

TIA
Regards,

Gabriel