Re: Linux ext3fs -- periodic "automatic" ? filesystem checks ?

From: Peter Hitchman <pjhoraclel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 16:38:45 +0000

Hi,
Interesting, I have only seen the fsck running after the reboot of a machine and the last time it was a OEL box and the time it took was painful. Fortunately for me it was an application server and the production database is RAC using ASM and for those machines the ext3 file systems are very small. But I suspect all of our ext3 file systems have the same settings, which as pointed out is a bad idea. But I did not think that fsck checks could be done online, but maybe there are different levels? After all you cannot have an fs being frozen just because its due a check.

Regards

Pete