Re: Bind Variables vs Literals -

From: Nigel Thomas <nigel.cl.thomas_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 11:56:51 +0000

Q1: PL/SQL interacts with the SQL engine in pretty much exactly the same way as other client applications. You will still see (soft or hard) parses as necessary at runtime; the SQL statements issued by PL/SQL do not bypass that in any way. So if you see lots of similar statements with hard coded literals, it will have the same effect as in a Java or .Net application.

A particular concern will be when you generate the SQL at runtime (ie, you are using Native Dynamic SQL, or using the DBMS_SQL package). Not that the handling of literals is any different, just that there are far more likely to be multiple (10s, 100s or 1000s) of similar statements (ie similar in the same sense that cursor sharing uses).

Regards Nigel