RE: Negative ramifications of setting CPU_COUNT lower?

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 10:06:04 -0700

I understand the trade-offs, and I am not willing to make them for any of my systems - even those short transactions will be slower on a T-series than they would be on a 5yr old x86 processor. Sure, they may be acceptable, and maybe that's considered to be successful in some situations, but I'd say it's at best sub-optimal, and at worst completely intolerable and a misuse of funds. And, even if your typical DB load is composed of very small transactions, you're still going to suffer big time when it comes time to do installations, upgrades, exp/imp, datapump, backups/restores, etc. I stand by my suggestion - run away! (but I certainly agree it's good to understand _why_ you're running away rather than doing it blindly).

Regards,
Brandon