Re: Your experience - positive or negative - with Oracle on VMWare...

From: Ahbaid Gaffoor <ahbaid_at_att.net>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 16:09:43 -0700

Hi Robert,

I'm trying to do as much as I can on VMware, it sure makes testing things easier and I don't have to explain to my wife why I need another machine :)

My last tests have been with Dataguard on VMware and everything works right up to fast start failover. I'm hitting a weird situation where the observer just can't see the databases even though v$database shows the correct observer host. All three machines are VMs. I'm 90% sure it's a VMware thing since the exact configuration works fine on physical hosts. I'm getting the following on both dbs in my configuration:

"Error: ORA-16820: Fast-Start Failover observer is no longer observing this database" from a "show database <dbname>" in DGMGRL

I recently presented at the awesome NoCOUG (shameless plug for NoCOUG) and used VMware for my demo setup. Makes it very easier to give someone what I did too. I also love the ease of giving one of my colleagues a db pre-built to play with full access and the ability to rollback to a good state when it blows up.

Initially I did not like Server 2.0 with the new web interface, but I've gotten used to it and it's not as bad as it seemed initially, sort of a Moxy Cola effect.

Just my $0.02.

Ahbaid