Re: Oracle installation on Local disk vs. SAN

From: Rajeev Prabhakar <rprabha01_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 15:32:03 -0400

Hi Bill,

In my opinion, it would make more sense to install them locally, so that oracle home availability is not dependent upon SAN reachability(howsoever unlikely).

Plus, if by oracle on SAN install, you mean a shared copy of oracle home, in lots of operational circumstances, it would not be wise. If the purpose is simply to have a
golden copy /image for any cloning, that can be surely preserved on a SAN.

Also, the underlying premise seems to be that the database would always need a SAN. Perhaps it is true in your case, however, you need to double check any of the assumptions.

Rajeev