Re: Enterprise mangler

From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 2 May 2009 11:28:07 -0300

E3? FocalPoint for Oracle? I've worked with it and it sux big time.

I don't really like the commercial tools that are out there. I usually build my own set of scripts and load them to a DB and generate reports using either APEX or JPGraph+PHP

Anyway, I don't really like Symantec... so my comment might be biased.

As for OEM, I'd wait for a couple of years... it'll get better (as OracleAS got better than iAS, Oracle10gR2 got better than Oracle10gR1, 9i got better than 9.0) etc.

I've tried OEM on 11g and works rather fine... I can't wait for Grid Control to be upgraded...^_^ and a couple of patchsets to be released, of course.

I only wish Oracle would give it for free... it would be a greate added value to the database... and would essentially kill the competition (perhaps anti-trust would have something to say about this).

In any case, perhaps in a few years GC will have OS monitoring and control as well (*cough* SUN *cough*)

hth
Alan Bort
Oracle Certified Professional