RE: 12G Desupport for Raw Devices

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 15:10:07 -0400

Right, I understand that's the current mechanism - they could potentially make ASM itself the underlying storage technology, and remove its dependency on CRS, or they could push clustered file systems. The issue with the CFS route, as far as I can see it, is that OCFS2 is not on all platforms - and certainly Oracle is trying to reduce the number of third-party products needed in the traditional database environment, so why would they want to encourage people to have to go get a third-party CFS on platforms without OCFS2 (i.e. HP-UX, AIX, etc.)?

Or, like I said, this could be just getting rid of red hat-style bound raw devices, in which case this is a big snoozer of an issue.

Thanks,

Matt

From: Bradd Piontek [mailto:piontekdd_at_gmail.com] Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2008 3:02 PM
To: Matthew Zito
Cc: mccdba1_at_yahoo.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org; hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg Subject: Re: 12G Desupport for Raw Devices

I would think storing the OCR and voting disks in ASM would be an issue, as ASM is just another cluster resource and is generally brought up by ASM. My guess is they'll be pushing the use of OCFS/OCFS2 a bit more.

Bradd Piontek
Oracle Blog: http://piontekdd.blogspot.com Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/in/piontekdd

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 1:56 PM, Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com> wrote:

We were discussing this over here, and the big question we came up with is:

"Does this mean that simply raw devices a la old school Red Hat
(/dev/raw/raw1) are desupported, or that all character/non-buffered IO devices are desupported (a la /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2 or /dev/sda2 with O_DIRECT)?"   If the former, it's a non-issue for most environments, if it's the latter, it opens up a host of questions around what will be supported. Effectively, it requires that people have a clustered filesystem to use, or somehow Oracle jobbies up ASM such that you can put OCR and voting internally and making ASM a dependency for CRS to run.

Matt

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of dba1 mcc Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2008 1:30 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org; hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg Subject: Re: 12G Desupport for Raw Devices

Redhat RHEL 6 will also NOT support raw device.

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg> Subject: 12G Desupport for Raw Devices
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Date: Thursday, August 7, 2008, 11:02 AM

For those using Raw Devices (wether for Redo Logs in non-RAC or for

Database Files as well in RAC),

see MetaLink Note#578455.1 "Announcement of De-Support of RAW

devices in Release 12G "

Hemant K Chitale

http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.com

"A 'No' uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a

'Yes'

merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble."

Mohandas Gandhi
 Quotes

: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/mohandas_gandhi.html