New Connection for Each Query

From: Charlotte Hammond <charlottejanehammond_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 04:10:17 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All,
I have inherited an application which opens a new connection to the database every single time it executes a query. The CPUs are all maxed out despite the fact that each individual query is trivial and runs << 1 second. I'm guessing that it's the load of establishing all these connections all the time which is causing the problem. 1. How can I confirm/refute this guess?
2. Assuming that this is the problem (and that I have no access to change the application source code), what can I do? Can shared server / CMAN help here at all? Anything else? Any suggestions very much appreciated!
Thank you
Charlotte