RE: Oracle, C# and ADO.net....

From: Peter McLarty <p.mclarty_at_cqu.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 13:48:19 +1000

I worked for a shop that was a big .Net developer and we used SQL Server and Oracle as databases behind it. I am pretty sure they where using OPD.net as we had all sorts of problem with Windows 64 as the ODP was slow coming.

I know we needed to Oracle client installed for the application to work.

It would be the best choice for your application

Cheers

Peter

From: Niall Litchfield [mailto:niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com] Sent: Friday, 26 October 2007 05:31 AM
To: chris.grabowy_at_lmco.com
Cc: oracle-l
Subject: Re: Oracle, C# and ADO.net....

would it be the case that your developers are also happier with C and *nix than ms dev tools? I'd certainly be looking at moving in the direction you describe to start with.

It's also not true that the record to be updated could be updated without the original user realizing. In the event that the optimistic concurrency assumption doesn't hold then ado.net will throw a concurrency error (which can be caught and appropriately handled). See http://www.15seconds.com/issue/030604.htm for example.

You don't say how complex the apps are, and if they use stored procedures and so on, if they do then there will be work for a pl/sql developer for sure. In addition since sql server doesn't have the concept of shared sql in the same way that Oracle does, the apps won't use bind variables - using them is pretty simple, but may be new to .net developers.

On 10/25/07, Grabowy, Chris <chris.grabowy_at_lmco.com> wrote:

        We are cluelessly converting a few C# applications to use Oracle instead

        of SQL Server.

        I barely understand ADO.net, but it appears that it uses optimistic

        concurrency. Which means the record to be updated could be updated by

        another user without the original user realizing it.

        The current thinking is to rewrite the app back to C and host it on a

        UNIX box. While I am not a big fan of Windows, I just believe the

        rewrite to be a drastic move. So I am trying to figure what we can

        do....

	Your clueless .net DBA,
	Chris

Niall Litchfield