remote archive destination

From: LegeDoos <legedoos_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 15:24:59 +0200

Hi there!

We use Oracle 10g 10.1.0.5.0 on a W2K3 machine. Our datafiles are on a raid 5 and so are the archive logs. This is not desirable.

It is not possible to add another raid disc set, so I want to write the archive logs to a remote file server. I don't want to install Dataguard.

I can use de archive_log_dest_n to a UNC path or share to write the archive logs to that location but:
1. I don't want to mount the path/share in Windows because this can give problems after a reboot.
2. Because Oracle runs as the local system account I have problems configuring read\write permissions on the remote server. 3. In case of network failure or failure of the file server, Oracle can't write the logfiles and will stop.

I was thinking about scripting something like this: http://www.freelists.org/archives/oracle-l/05-2005/msg00731.html

Are there best practices for this problem? Are there other ways to achieve this?

Regards,

Rob