Re: How to get Oracle SQL Developer display Asia language correctly for US7ASCII database?

From: Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 19:32:51 -0600

It sounds like your database has been configured as US7ASCII, but your datais WE8ISO8859P1.

You will probably find that clients connecting to the database and (apparently incorrectly) setting their NLS character set (NLS_LANG) to US7ASCII will display the data without problems. Applications connecting with the WE8ISO8859P1 character set are likely to observe data that has been converted from US7ACSII to WE8ISO8859P1 -- that the data is actually inWE8ISO8859P1 to begin with is irelevant, because the database does not know
that. WE8ISO8859P1 characters that are not valid in the US7ASCII character set will be "converted" incorrectly in this case, being replaced by something like '?' to show that they were invalid.

Now, what I just said applies to character translation in the SQL*Net layer. Sadly, in cases where your application cleverly "lies" to the database and requests US7ASCII data (so it will come out unconverted) you might find that the Java Runtime Environment is now doing you the "favor" of converting the character sets (assuming Java "knows" that the app is expecting WE8ISO8859P1) and so the JRE is stepping all over your data instead of SQL*Net. This is just a guess though -- I do not know enough about Java to say whether or not this part will really occur.

Your best bet is to use a "back-door" method to convert your database to WE8ISO8859P1 (do not use csscan / csalter, as these will destroy your data!) and then have your software stack use WE8ISO8859P1 (or perhaps better, AL32UTF8) from end-to-end.

By the way, please note that many people on this list usually do not respond to questions posted by anonymous parties. Myself included. In the future, if you want help, please have the good manners to identify yourself. At least be good enough to provide a name more meaningful than "anysql".

--
Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead