Error in writing to directory /tmp/OraInstall2007

From: Sam Bootsma <sbootsma_at_georgebrown.ca>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 11:37:02 -0400

Hello All,

I successfully start a VNC session on our Unix box. Then I run the installer, and it returns the message below. There is about 800MB free space in /tmp and I have confirmed the /tmp directory is writable by user oracle. This used to work. My colleague upgraded from 10.2.0.2 to 10.2.0.3 recently, and I wonder if this is part of the reason we now encounter this problem. Our OS is AIX 5.3. Running the installer does create directory OraInstall2007-10-10_10-38-29AM. This directory contains an installActions log file and also a sub-directory named jre. Jre contains a directory lib, which contains a bunch of files (mostly font.properties).

Can anybody provide advice on what the problem may be? This is what I get when I run the installer from /tmp:

$ /u01/app/oracle/product/10.2/oui/bin/runInstaller -debug

Starting Oracle Universal Installer...

No pre-requisite checks found in oraparam.ini, no system pre-requisite checks will be executed.

Preparing to launch Oracle Universal Installer from /tmp/OraInstall2007-10-10_10-38-29AM. Please wait ...

Error in writing to directory /tmp/OraInstall2007-10-10_10-38-29AM. Please ensure that this directory is writable and has atleast 69 MB of disk space. Installation cannot continue.

: A file descriptor does not refer to an open file.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sam Bootsma

Oracle Database Administrator

Information Technology Services
George Brown College

Phone: 416-415-5000 x4933
Fax: 416-415-4836
E-mail: sbootsma_at_georgebrown.ca <mailto:sbootsma_at_georgebrown.ca>