Restoring control file required?

From: Nadeem M. Khan <nadeem.m.khan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 12:02:37 +0530

Greetings.

Got a teeny weeny doubt here.
When is it necessary to restore the controlfile? Ofcourse one scenario is when I have lost all copies of my current control file.

Suppose I lose a datafile, I need to restore it. But do I need to restore the control file as well for recovering? What if a tablespace is dropped?

My conclusion after doing a bit of R&D is that if a datafile is dropped/damaged, the
controlfile need not be restored. But If a tablespace is dropped then then all datafiles and the controlfile need to be restored for (incomplete) recovery.

Any inputs appreciated. Documents/Links even more appreciated.

Regards,
NMK.