Re: high cpu on query

From: Don Seiler <don_at_seiler.us>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 16:34:22 -0500

On 6/29/07, Jeremy Paul Schneider <jeremy.schneider_at_ardentperf.com> wrote:
> Actually I'm pretty sure that GATHER_STATS_JOB does not gather system
> statistics. However sometimes DBA's or consultants add another job to
> gather them on a regular basis. (Generally I'm not a fan.)

Yeah gathering (i.e. changing) system statistics on a regular basis is generally not a good idea. You might pull statistics from an atypical workload and find your CBO making *drastically* different decisions.

So, no, the gather_stats_job doesn't gather system statistics. I'm pretty sure it just calls dbms_stats.gather_database_stats() for stale statistics.

--
Don Seiler
oracle blog: http://ora.seiler.us