BITMAP Versus B-TREE

From: Raj Mareddi <yoursraju007_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 14:18:00 -0400

DBA fellas,

I have seen better query performance after converting two indexes to bitmap, for few warehouse queries. I have got around 50 other indexes, like

SELECT index_name,TABLE_NAME,DISTINCT_KEYS,NUM_ROWS,DISTINCT_KEYS/NUM_ROWS FROM dba_indexes
WHERE owner='ABCD' AND num_rows != 0 AND DISTINCT_KEYS/NUM_ROWS < 0.01 ORDER BY 5 ; There is a couple of indexes with 1 distinct key and 1Million rows. Im sure they are good candidates for Bitmap.. but I think bitmaps have downsize on DML and row locking for updates.. I hope someone here would have some SWEET or SOUR experiences with Bitmaps. Would you please share ?

Thanks