Re: SQLLDR or UTL_FILE package? Which is faster?

From: Tim Hall <timhall1_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:19:20 -0700

FWIW, we load about 140 million records (not so many columns) via SQL*Loader every couple of weeks (on Oracle 9.2.0.6, Solaris). It takes an hour or two to perform the SQL*Loader portion of this job. I haven't actually tried UTL_FILE loads for this many records, but extrapolating from our experience with loads of < 1 million rows, I'd expect that UTL_FILE would take an order of magnitude longer than SQL*Loader.

Also, IIRC, you'd be likely to run into some limitations with UTL_FILE on 8i. I'm not positive, but I think the line-size limitation was 1023 bytes back then?

So... Given a choice, and assuming the input file is in a relatively sane format and you need to do relatively little manipulation to the data on the way in, I'd be very inclined to try SQL*Loader.

Hope this helps --
Tim