Re: RMAN without a repository and a total site loss

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 16:39:38 -0700

On 4/17/07, ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net <ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net> wrote:

> I am using RMAN without the repository. I want to plan in case we have a
> total site loss and all I have left are my tape backups which are all
> compressed backupsets.
>
> So my control files with my catalog are gone. What do you recommend as the
> best way to recover if this happens? Should I backup my control files
> seperately on top of the backupset? Should I do backup controlfile to trace?

I have been an advocate of using RMAN without an RMAN Catalog Database.

However, I have recently changed my mind on that.

Oracle states that everything you can do with a repository database can also be done with only a controlfile, with the single exception of using stored scripts. (see ML Note 360416.1)

That is however, incorrect.

There is a growing list of exceptions of things that cannot be done without an RCD. For instance if you need to TSPITR, there are several limitations as documented in ML 304305.1.

While many operations may be done without a RCD, some of them are much easier when a catalog database is used.

There are others as well.

I am at this moment planning to upgrade our RCD to 10gR2 and use it with all Oracle Backups.

The point being, you may want to reconsider your decision.

--
Jared Still