RE: incremental backups

From: <jim.silverman_at_thomson.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 16:45:10 -0500

Yes - definitely use it!

We encountered a very similar situation: a several-hundred-GByte database in which we take a Level 0 on the weekend, and Level 1 incrementals during the week. Before implementing BCT (which we couldn't do immediately because of a known bug that required a patch), we had to cancel our daily Level 1s because they didn't finish before the next one was supposed to start. When we enabled BCT, the Level 1 time was reduced to under an hour. Of course, the time crept up a bit during the week as more blocks were changed, but this additional time was due to writing these changed blocks to tape, not scanning the database for the blocks themselves.

Jim Silverman
Senior Systems Database Administrator
Solucient, LLC - A Thomson Company
Telephone: 734-669-7641
FAX:            734-930-7611
		Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 17:55:04 -0800
		From: Stalin <stalinsk_at_gmail.com>

		On 3/2/07, Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_oneneck.com>
wrote:

> Another consideration is that incrementals are only
available with

> Enterprise Edition, but I think that may have changed
with 10g.

                Yes, incrementals are available with standard edition from 10g onwards. However, block change tracking requires Enterprise Edition.

                -Stalin