Using RMAN duplicate in a RAC environment

From: Peter McLarty <p.mclarty_at_cqu.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 15:08:05 +1000

Hi Gurus

I am working with a RAC environment and we want to refresh dev from test and similar eventually we want to be able to do this in production to test or dev. I had thought initially that I would use RMAN duplicate to do this but it seems that you cant duplicate to a RAC database only single instance.

Am I correct in that you cant clone databases in RAC using RMAN where the target is a rac database and the auxiliary is a rac database?

Does anyone have a method of doing these sorts of refreshes in a RAC environment? What processes are people using

Metalink Note:228257.1 states "A RAC TARGET database can be duplicated aswell. The procedure is the same as below.If the auxiliary instance needs to be a RAC-database aswell, than start the duplicate procedure for to a single instance and convert the auxiliary to RAC after the duplicate has succeeded." Do I have any other way

Cheers

--
Peter McLarty
Database Administrator