Re: best laptop for an errant dba?

From: Kevin Lidh <kevin.lidh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 11:29:19 -0600

I'm sure that most people will say, "It depends on what you're using it for." I wanted a portable server-ish delopment environment. I have an HP dv9000 with an AMD-64 processor, 2GB RAM, and two 100 GB hard drives in it. I have Fedora Core 4 x86-64 and Oracle 9i (64-bit) with VMWare running XP or Solaris and 10gR2 on those. It's been a fantastic box but certainly not a laptop per se as it has a bit of weight and is too hot for a lap. It has a 17" screen but, more importantly, a bigger keyboard than a typical laptop.