Re: solaris system kernel parameters | with dataguard

From: Peter Sylvester <peters_at_mitre.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 11:36:12 -0400

How much physical memory is on the machine? Try running "/usr/sbin/psrinfo -v"

With both instances shut down see if there is some shared memory allocated but not really used.
Try "ipcs -m" and/or "ipcs -a".

Take a look at what the first instance reports for memory usage on startup and see if this looks reasonable.

Take a look at what other processes are running on the machine and their memory usage. The "top" utility is good for this but unless they fixed it recently, it screws up with shared memory, counting it for each process attached. You can get the similar info with "ps".

I have seen issues where I had difficulty using what memory I thought should be available when running multiple instances on Solaris10. Generally things start to work after backing off on the memory allocations. I *suspect* that shared memory may need to be contiguous, as it seems to run into fragmentation issues in Solaris.

--Peter

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu Aug 17 2006 - 10:36:12 CDT