Re: Index Maintenance for DW environment

From: Jeff Thomas <thomasjd_at_insightbb.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 16:44:38 -0400

Thanks for all the feedback.

  1. Yes we are using nologging and parallelism
  2. No to partitioning -- but I'm pushing for it. I might add this is a Siebel OLAP/Analytics database that I inherited after the fact. I've perused OTN/Metalink/Siebel and found nearly zilch on best practices/tuning for Siebel on Oracle.
  3. The big issue is the bitmap indexes in reality -- we have over 750 of them being dropped and rebuilt each night.
  4. As for stats, I got a baseline saved to a stats table, and I only allow them to restore stats via a stored procedure I wrote. I don't gather stats until they are stale to the point of degrading performance.

Thanks,
Jeff