RE: full-scan vs index for "small" tables

From: Laimutis Nedzinskas <Laimutis.Nedzinskas_at_landsbanki.is>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 08:46:36 -0000

>I want an index to be used if it exists, regardless of statistics,
period.

Yes, it is ...annoying when someone [Oracle] thinks he is smarter than you and it commands you what to do.
The strategy "if index was created then it was created for a reason - use it" makes a sense.

There are issues when more than one index is available(i.e. access paths) for the same table(alias).
CBO may help but often it fails.
That may be is the reason why Oracle is still not optimizing col+0=col and col||''=col tricks.
I hope this *rule* is inscripted in gold somewhere in Oracle's HQ.

>You want your transaction to work the same way, all the time. No
adapting, evolving or adjusting.

I just got in mind that may be this is exactly what competition unthreatened industry does not want.

Fyrirvari/Disclaimer
http://www.landsbanki.is/disclaimer