RE: full-scan vs index for "small" tables

From: Cary Millsap <cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 09:52:50 -0500

Mladen,

I'm going to stand firm on the following statement:

Work first to reduce the biggest response time component of the business's most important task.

Everything else follows from that. But in order to know what your most important task is, you have to communicate with your business. And in order to know what that task's biggest response time component is, you have to measure your specific circumstance.

The objection I have with the world at large is when people guess instead of measure. Most people guess "It's got to be I/O." But "it" is I/O in fewer than 5% of cases I've witnessed since about 1995.

So I find the "It's got to be I/O" guess to be extremely dangerous, first because it's the most common guess, second because it's erroneous a surprisingly large proportion of the time.

Of course, if "it" is really I/O-and you know it to be so because you've accurately measured-then by all means dive into the I/O problem with all four feet.

But only if (that is, after) you've determined that I/O is the biggest response time component of the business's most important task.

My point ends with, "Why guess... When you can know."

Cary Millsap

Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.

http://www.hotsos.com

Nullius in verba

Hotsos Symposium 2007 / March 4-8 / Dallas

Visit www.hotsos.com for curriculum and schedule details...