RE: Log file sync spike

From: Schultz, Charles <sac_at_uillinois.edu>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 11:30:19 -0500

This is very similar to an issue we experienced under 9i and Solaris 8. We spent a few weeks pointing fingers (and having fingers pointed at us), but ultimately it came down to the buffered writes to the disk.

As this was in 2004, I am mining the email for more details. We were helped by TUSC (*wink wink* to the guys that hang out here). We made two changes that had a dramatic effect; we switched from EMC disk to local (Sun) disk and dumped Veritas File Manager for UFS, but only for the mounts which housed the redo logs (independent of everything else, we are good OFA boys). We never had approval to go back and test to see if either one change or the other did the trick, so I can only recommend you do both. Later in life, we switched to faster disk from EMC (DMX) and Veritas DirectIO, again not knowing if both were needed or not.

Let me know if you want more details, as your situation may be different than ours.