RE: How to edit spfile ?/

From: Luca Canali <Luca.Canali_at_cern.ch>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 22:16:27 +0200

Hi Thomas,

there is no need to restart the DB to update the spfile, if that's your problem with it. You can use create spfile='spfilepathandname' from pfile='youreditedpfile'.
By the way, spfiles are really useful when using RAC and ASM, among other things.

Luca

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Thomas Day Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 9:58 PM
To: davidsharples_at_gmail.com
Cc: oracledbam_at_hotmail.com; gorbyx_at_gmail.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: How to edit spfile ?/

Usually the parameter that I want to change is something that can't be changed via ALTER SYSTEM. Very rarely do I get lucky and edit the spfile such that the checksum is still valid. The only way that I know of to always be able to alter the parameter in spfile is to create a pfile from the spfile, edit the pfile, restart the database from the pfile and create an spfile from the pfile.

HUGE pain. Not a fan of spfile at all. Only use it when management insists.