Re: I was told there would be no (date) math

From: Michael Ebert <mebert_at_amadeus.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 16:34:28 +0200

I expect it has to do with "Abstract DataType (DATE in this case) semantics". You can subtract a Date from a Date; the result is a number of days (a difference). You can subtract a number of days from a date; the result is a date. That's how your second example gets resolved. In your first example, the implicit order of execution would be ((DATE - DATE) - DATE) which is (#DAYS-DATE) which is not a defined operation for this ADT... Dr. Michael Ebert
DB2 & Oracle Database Administrator
aMaDEUS Data Processing
Erding / Munich, Germany