Re: Grid Control - opinions please

From: Joe Armstrong-Champ <joseph.armstrong-champ_at_tufts.edu>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 09:43:28 -0400

Jared,

We use OEM 9i and more recently GC 10gR1 (for our 10g databases). I have found that the old version is actually more user friendly in some respects and that some of the functionality was lost in the new version. The new version also has more bugs.

We use the 2 products for alerts and to do administration on our databases. For these uses I have found the tools to work fairly well once you figure out how things work.

We also run a few rman backup jobs through both tools. There are some problems with this in the GC version as sometimes the jobs get hung and I have to go into the database and delete rows. There is also no job email notification in GC R1 but there is in R2.

For real-time monitoring of performance problems we have another tool from Symantec (formerly Veritas formerly Precise) which we like. I think we could get the same info from OEM/GC but Symantec's GUI is much easier to use. (We also have the packs in GC because it's included in our enterprise license.) We don't have many issues on this front so I can't say that I'm very experienced with either tool in this respect.

The installation of GC was horrible. I had to do it twice to get it right.

We will be upgrading to R2 when it is released in the hopes that some of the functionality will be back and that it will be less buggy.

I would say that for basic admin and monitoring the tools work fine.

Joe