Re: 10g RAC -- Multiple DB's and mixed OS

From: Mogens Nørrgaard <mln_at_miracleas.dk>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 14:59:31 +0200

We have a number of RAC customers on Windows, and I'm not sure they have fewer or more problems than Unix/Linux RAC installations.

It doesn't matter, really. Windows is chosen because it's easier to find people to manage it. It becomes harder and harder to find VMS, Unix and Linux administrators these days.

And Windows might not be as good in some respects as Linux, but it doesn't matter if it's good enough.

So while I HATE monopolies and companies (private or public) abusing monopolistic positions (and that has often included Microsoft, IBM and Oracle for that matter), I do have to answer 'Windows' when an IT director asks me - unless he already has a history and the people in his organisation to use Linux.

I also have this one concern about Linux: Customers have absolutely no say in its future development. It's proudly free of commercial interests, which is, uhm, a cool thing for nerds and not so cool for customers.

Now let's have a good debate :-).

Moans Longballs Nogood