Recycle Buffer Pool

From: Pass, Stephanie <Stephanie_Pass_at_cable.comcast.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 12:32:25 -0600

I have a question about buffer pools. I'm working on a 3rd party app, Oracle 9.2.0.6. I notice that several tables are defined to use the recycle pool; but the init.ora parameter for buffer_pool_recycle has no value.

When I look at the tables in x$bh and v$buffer_pools is see that there are several objects in the recycle pool.

POOL_NAME OBJECT
BLOCKS

RECYCLE        AK_EQUIPMENT_MAC_ADDR                          1,825

                        EQUIPMENT

1,666

My questions are:

  1. How does oracle decide how big to make the recycle pool when not initially defined.
  2. Why are these table placed in the buffer pool since no initial space allocation was created for the recycle pool.

Thanks in advance!