Re: hanging shutdowns (addressing the requirement for a UNIX reboot)

From: LiShan Cheng <exriscer_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 14:12:00 +0100

I have been in a customer a couple of years ago wose backup script did something like this

retry = 0
loop

   if retry == 3 shutdown abort and exit loop    shutown immediate
   wait 60 seconds
   if success then exit loop else retry = retry + 1 end loop

this was used since 1998 until today, shutdown abort has been used time to time with no errors